- 1/2cup pecan halves
- 3pounds carrots—peeled, cut into 2-inch lengths, and halved lengthwise if large
- 1/2cup packed light brown sugar
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 375° F. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing once, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the carrots, brown sugar, butter, rosemary, cayenne, ½ cup water, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and cook, stirring often, until the carrots are tender and the liquid has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Discard the rosemary and toss the carrots with the lemon juice and pecans.