- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- Heat oven to 350° F. With an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and ¼ cup of the granulated sugar on medium-high speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vanilla, salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the cinnamon and beat until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour, mixing just until combined (do not overmix).
- On a small plate, stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Shape the dough into balls (about 1 teaspoon each). A few at a time, roll the cookies in the cinnamon sugar to coat and place on baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until puffed and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. (Cookies will deflate somewhat.) Cool slightly in the pans, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Storage suggestion: Keep the cookies at room temperature, between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.