- 3 pounds red new potatoes (about 30; peeled if desired), cut into 2-inch chunks
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sage and cook, stirring, until the butter is golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the butter mixture, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the potatoes and mash to the desired consistency.