Broccoli With Lemon Crumbs
Serves 10| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 12-ounce bags broccoli florets, or large bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- Whirl the bread in a food processor or blender to make bread crumbs. Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the bread crumbs and sauté over medium heat until toasted.
- Grate the zest from the lemon. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from one half into the pan. Add the salt and several grinds of black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until dry. (The Lemon Crumbs can be made to this point up to 2 days ahead. Spoon into a plastic bag and set aside at room temperature.)
- Microwave the broccoli according to the package directions. (If using fresh broccoli, pile the florets on a microwave-safe plate and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.) Remove and sprinkle with the Lemon Crumbs.
- Per Serving
- Calories 34Calories From Fat 0%
- Calcium 38mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Fat 0g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 3mg
- Sat Fat 0g
- Sodium 163mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Blanching vegetables locks in flavor, texture, and color, and you don't have to worry about undercooking or overcooking.