Broccoli Gratin With Crispy Onions
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped (6 cups)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup grated fontina
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk the butter and flour until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk until combined.
- Add the broccoli and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the fontina and transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Top with the onions and bake until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 361
- Fat 25g
- Sat Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 59mg
- Sodium 624mg
- Protein 16g
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 348mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Can’t find French-fried onions? Top this creamy side dish with homemade bread crumbs or even crushed potato chips.