Broccoli and Gruyère Gratin
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 large bunches broccoli, roughly chopped (about 12 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated Gruyere (8 ounces)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oven to 375° F. Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch of water and fit with a steamer basket (or fill a large pot with ½ inch of water). Bring to a simmer. Place the broccoli in the steamer basket, cover, and steam until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (do not let it darken). Whisk in the milk and simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss with the broccoli.
- Transfer the broccoli mixture to a shallow 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake until bubbling and golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 264
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 51mg
- Sodium 326mg
- Protein 15g
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 4g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Prepare gratin, but do not bake. Refrigerate in the baking dish for up to 1 day in advance (alternatively, keep the gratin at room temperature for up to 2 hours). To serve, bring the gratin to room temperature and bake according to the recipe instructions.