- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 12cups torn escarole (about 1 head) or stemmed and torn collard greens
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3cup raisins (optional)
- 1/3cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Working in 2 batches, cook the chicken until browned, 5 to 6 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to the drippings in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the escarole, tomatoes and their juices, and ½ cup water and mix to combine. Place the chicken on top of the escarole, cover the pot, and transfer to oven.
- Bake, covered, until the escarole is wilted and tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover the pot and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes more; fold in the raisins and olives.