- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved (about 4 ounces)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, plus leaves for serving
- 2 15.5-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the beef with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions and the remaining tablespoon of oil to the drippings in the pot and cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the broth, sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, until the beef is tender, 1 to 1¼ hours. Add the beans and cook until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs and sprinkle with the thyme leaves.