- 1 pound dried fettucine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the beef and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until no trace of pink remains. Stir the beef into the sauce. Fold in the parsley.
- Divide the pasta among bowls, top with the sauce, and sprinkle with the Parmesan.