Mashed Potatoes With Bacon and Blue Cheese
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (about 6; peeled if desired), cut into 2-inch chunks
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 ounces bacon (6 slices)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool, then crumble.
- Add the milk, butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the potatoes and mash to the desired consistency. Fold in the bacon and top with the blue cheese.
- Per Serving
- Calories 324
- Fat 18g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 48mg
- Sodium 567mg
- Protein 9g
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 127mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Use any blue cheese you like in this recipe. Good choices are Roquefort, a creamy, pungent, and salty sheep’s-milk cheese from France; and strong-flavored Italian Gorgonzola or milder Danish blue, both from cow’s milk.