- 4 slices bacon
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bunch escarole, torn into 3-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed, or a heaping 1/2 cup dried black-eyed peas, soaked and cooked
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Crumble.
- Add the garlic to the bacon drippings and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the escarole, season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to wilt, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas and ¼ cup water and cook, tossing occasionally, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the bacon before serving.