Black Beans and Rice
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green or red pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon salt and 1½ teaspoons of the oil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, green pepper, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, broth, vinegar, bay leaves, black pepper, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Spoon the beans over the rice and sprinkle with the scallions (if desired). Serve warm.
- Per Serving
- Calories 425Calories From Fat 61
- Fat 7g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1,210mg
- Protein 14g
- Carbohydrate 79g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 76mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Dress up this easy, meat-free dish with shredded Cheddar, sliced avocado, or chopped tomatoes.