medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
large green or red pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
medium cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
black beans, undrained
vegetable or chicken broth
red wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
sliced scallions (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon salt and 1½ teaspoons of the oil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, green pepper, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, broth, vinegar, bay leaves, black pepper, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Spoon the beans over the rice and sprinkle with the scallions (if desired). Serve warm.