Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 pound Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced and white and green parts separated
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Heat oven to 450° F. In a blender, puree the tomatoes, chili powder, half the onion, 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining onion and half the garlic and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black beans, sweet potato, oregano, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until the sweet potatoes are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Stir in 1 cup of the Cheddar.
- Spread 1 cup of the tomato mixture in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Roll up the bean mixture in the tortillas (about ½ cup each) and place the rolls seam-side down in the dish. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and 1 cup of Cheddar. Bake on the top rack of oven until the Cheddar is brown and bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining garlic and the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the corn and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Sprinkle the enchiladas with the scallion greens and serve with the corn.
- Per Serving
- Calories 756Calories From Fat 318
- Fat 35g
- Sat Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 1,798mg
- Protein 28g
- Carbohydrate 82g
- Sugar 13g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 6mg
- Calcium 554mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .