Bittersweet Chocolate Cake
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (at least 70 percent cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (preferably infused with a vanilla bean)
- Position rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350° F. Rub the inside of an 8-inch cake pan or springform pan with butter. Swirl flour around to coat the pan, then tap out the excess.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- Combine the eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl, then whisk until foamy. Add the sugar and whisk about 1 minute or until light and frothy. Blend in the chocolate mixture. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, whisking to blend completely each time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. (When the skewer is inserted in the center, a bit of moist batter should cling to it.) Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate. Invert back onto rack so the shiny side is up. Cool the cake completely before sliding it onto a serving plate. Sift the cocoa over the top.
- Per Serving
- Calories 403.09Calories From Fat 68.05%
- Calcium 30.91mg
- Carbohydrate 35.17g
- Cholesterol 98.59mg
- Fat 30.79g
- Fiber 2.42g
- Iron 1.53mg
- Protein 4.93mg
- Sat Fat 17.43g
- Sodium 123.36mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .