Big-Batch Spiced Pork and Apricot Stew
Serves 16| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 10 pounds boneless pork shoulder or butt, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 large onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth (8 cups)
- 1 1/3 cups apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 cups dried apricots, halved
- Divide the pork, paprika, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne between 2 large pots; season each with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. Divide the onions between the pots.
- Divide the chicken broth, preserves, and vinegar between the pots and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 2 ½ hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and ½ cup water. Dividing evenly between the pots, stir in the cornstarch mixture along with the chickpeas and dried apricots. Simmer, uncovered, until the cooking liquid is slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- To eat tonight: Dig in!
- To freeze and reheat later: Freeze the stew in four 2-quart or eight 1-quart freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw the stew and cook, covered, in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 740
- Fat 31g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 224mg
- Sodium 720mg
- Protein 66g
- Carbohydrate 46g
- Sugar 27g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 6mg
- Calcium 109mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .