Big-Batch Creamy Seafood Casserole
Serves 16| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 3/4 cups olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pounds medium carrots (about 16), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds medium parsnips (about 16), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 8 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups heavy cream
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 pounds waxy potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 pounds skinless tilapia fillets (about 12), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp, tails removed
- 2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- Divide ½ cup of the oil between 2 large pots and heat over medium heat. Divide the onions, carrots, parsnips, and celery between the pots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Dividing evenly, sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let darken). Divide the wine between the pots and simmer for 1 minute.
- Divide the cream between the pots; season each with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and, dividing evenly, stir in the parsley. Divide the vegetable mixture among four 8-inch square baking dishes and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Reserve 3 cups of the cooking water, drain the potatoes, and return them to the pot. Add 1 cup of the remaining oil, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1 cup of the reserved cooking water and mash (adding more cooking water, if necessary) until smooth.
- Dividing evenly among the baking dishes, nestle the fish and shrimp in the vegetable mixture. Top with the potato mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and the remaining ¼ cup of oil. Dividing evenly, sprinkle over the potatoes.
- To eat tonight: Bake the casserole on a rimmed baking sheet at 375° F until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- To freeze and cook later: Freeze the unbaked casserole, tightly sealed, for up to 3 months. To cook, thaw the casserole and bake, uncovered, on a rimmed baking sheet at 375° F until heated through and golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 789
- Fat 49g
- Sat Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 210mg
- Sodium 560mg
- Protein 36g
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 160mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .