Beef Short Ribs With Mushrooms
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 1/2 pounds meaty short ribs, cut flanken style
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups good-quality beef stock
- 1 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper and dredge the short ribs. Heat half the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then sear the beef on all sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Add the stock, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan. Return the beef to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and transfer to the oven. Cook until the beef is fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking, heat the remaining oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook
until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Toss with the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Remove the ribs to serving dishes, place
the pot over high heat, and reduce the cooking liquid until slightly thickened. Serve with the mushrooms and cooking liquid.
- Per Serving
- Calories 511
- Calcium 42mg
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Fat 33g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 5mg
- Protein 39mg
- Sat Fat 10g
- Sodium 880mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .