- 4pounds chuck meat, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces, or 4 pounds precut stew meat
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 1 1/2pounds shallots, peeled
- 1cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 300° F. Season the beef with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add some of the beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom, for 3 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pot along with the shallots and broth. Bring to a boil. Skim any foam. Add the thyme. Cover and transfer to oven until the beef is tender, about 2 hours. Spoon into individual bowls.