- 2tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, half chopped and half thinly sliced
- 12ounces ground beef
- pinch cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 6ounces Monterey Jack, grated (1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1bunch watercress, trimmed (about 4 cups)
- 1cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef, cayenne, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Heat broiler. Brush one side of each tortilla with 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil. Place 2 tortillas, oiled-side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top with the beef mixture, Monterey Jack, and remaining tortillas (oiled-side up). Broil until crisp and the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the watercress, corn, and sliced onion with the lime juice, the remaining tablespoon of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with the salad.