boneless chuck roast
freshly ground black pepper
large onion, chopped
small clove garlic, minced
good-quality beef stock
canned crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the boneless chuck with the salt and pepper and sear on all sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Place the onion and garlic in the Dutch oven and cook, stirring, until brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the stock, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits, then add the tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Return the beef to the pot, cover tightly, and transfer to oven until the beef is fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and cover it loosely with foil. Transfer the pot to a burner over moderately high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Slice the beef and spoon extra cooking liquid on top.