Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck (85 percent lean or less)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle chips, and mayonnaise, for serving
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Divide the meat and gently form it into 4 balls. (Do not overwork the meat.)
- Flatten the balls into 3/4-inch-thick patties. Flatten the top and sides of each patty to ensure that the thickness is the same throughout. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty. (This will prevent overplumping.) Season the patties with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill grate using a pair of tongs and a paper towel dipped in canola oil. Cook the burgers (with the wells facing up) until they release easily from the grill, 4 to 5 minutes for medium. Flip and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F, or 4 to 5 minutes for medium. Serve on rolls with the desired toppings.
- Per Serving
- Calories 360Calories From Fat 151
- Protein 31g
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 1g
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Sodium 663mg
- Cholesterol 84mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .