- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 2 1/2-pound rump roast, cut into 6 equal-size pieces
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon ground allspice
- 1pound onions (about 4 medium), peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2cups canned tomatoes
- 2 12-ounce bottles dark beer
- 2tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 4 Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Put the oil and bacon in a large casserole and cook until the bacon is crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Season the beef with the salt, pepper, and allspice and sear in the bacon drippings and oil until nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from casserole and set aside.
- Brown the onions and garlic in the casserole. Return the beef and bacon to the casserole. Add the tomatoes, beer, sugar, thyme, and rosemary and bring to a simmer. Cover the casserole and place on bottom rack of oven. After 10 minutes, check to make sure it's simmering; turn heat up 25° F if not. Cook until the meat is falling apart, about 2 hours. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.