Beef and Barley Soup
Serves 4 (makes 8 cups)| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season the beef with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Working in 2 batches, cook the beef, turning often, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes (with their juices), barley, bay leaf, thyme, 4 cups water, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and the browned beef (along with any accumulated juices). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until the beef is tender, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup with more broth or water if desired. Stir in the parsley.
- Per Serving
- Calories 376
- Fat 13g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 48mg
- Sodium 741mg
- Protein 32g
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 59mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .