- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound pancetta or bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh black-eyed peas or lima or cranberry beans, shelled, or 1 pound dried (soaked overnight), or 2 1/2 (15-ounce) canned beans
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, combine oil and pancetta and cook over low heat until crisp and golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain pancetta on a paper towel and reserve.
- In the same pan, cook onions over medium heat until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Tilt pan to remove excess fat; add beans, bay leaf, and 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Add pancetta and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.