Bean and Bacon Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool, then break into pieces.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat, add the carrot to the pan drippings, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic, stirring well and cooking for 3 minutes more.
- Add the beans and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and, with a potato masher or large slotted spoon, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly.
- Stir in the parsley, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and bacon.
- Per Serving
- Calories 197Calories From Fat 49
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 9mg
- Sodium 1,199mg
- Protein 11g
- Carbohydrate 26g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 9g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 76mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.