- 4 strips bacon
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 15 1/2-ounce cans great northern beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- kosher salt and black pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool, then break into pieces.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat, add the carrot to the pan drippings, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic, stirring well and cooking for 3 minutes more.
- Add the beans and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and, with a potato masher or large slotted spoon, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly.
- Stir in the parsley, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and bacon.