Basil Spaghetti With Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), each cut into 4 thick slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce), plus more, shaved, for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, warm the oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic oil, basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve topped with the tomatoes, additional basil, and shaved Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 663
- Fat 29g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 50mg
- Sodium 850mg
- Protein 29g
- Carbohydrate 72g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 431mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For a Mediterranean take on this recipe, substitute crumbled Feta for the mozzarella and toss ½ cup halved pitted olives in with the spaghetti.