Basic Sugar Cookie Dough
Makes 18 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Shape into a disk and (unless otherwise specified in an individual recipe) refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Make cookies according to directions in the 10 Ideas For Sugar Cookie Dough collection. Alternately, make cutout cookies by doing the following: Heat oven to 350° F. On a floured surface, roll out each disk ¼ inch thick. Cut into shapes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets; refrigerate until firm. Sprinkle with decorating sugar, if using, and bake until just beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 180
- Fat 11g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 39mg
- Sodium 43mg
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 1g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .