Basic Roast Turkey
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 12- to 14-pound turkey, giblets removed
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 navel oranges, cut into wedges (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley or leaves from 1 bunch celery (optional)
- kitchen string (optional)
- Heat oven to 425° F. Rinse the turkey inside and out and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the wings underneath the body. If desired, tie the drumsticks together using kitchen string. Place the carrots, celery, and onions in a metal roasting pan. Transfer the turkey to a wire rack and place it on top of the vegetables. Drizzle the skin with the butter or oil and, using your fingers, spread it evenly. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Roast the turkey, uncovered, until browned, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cold water to pan. Cover the turkey loosely with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F. Roast until a thermometer inserted in a thigh registers 180° F, about 2 hours total. Let the turkey rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. Garnish with the orange wedges and parsley or celery leaves (if using). If making gravy, reserve the juices in the roasting pan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 544Calories From Fat 46%
- Fat 28g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 232mg
- Sodium 292mg
- Carbohydrate 0g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 68g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .