Barley Risotto With Asparagus and Parmesan
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more.
- Add the asparagus with the last 1/2 cup of broth and cook until tender. It should take 30 to 35 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed.
- Remove from heat, season with the salt and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.
- Per Serving
- Calories 477Calories From Fat 23%
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 648mg
- Carbohydrate 71g
- Fiber 16g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 15g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
At the store, look for thick or thin asparagus with firm stalks, closed tips, and a bright green color.