- 5cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2cups barley
- 1cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more.
- Add the asparagus with the last 1/2 cup of broth and cook until tender. It should take 30 to 35 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed.
- Remove from heat, season with the salt and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.