- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 cup pearl barley
- kosher salt
- 1 cup yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until the tomato paste darkens, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lentils, barley, 4 cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and barley are tender, 35 to 45 minutes (adding more water if needed to loosen).
- Serve topped with the scallion greens and yogurt.