Barley and Lentil Salad With Goat Cheese
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 English cucumber, chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Cook the barley according to the package directions. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the lettuce with half the lemon dressing. In a second medium bowl, toss the barley, lentils, carrot, onion, olives, and cucumber with the remaining lemon dressing. Serve the barley mixture over the lettuce and sprinkle with the goat cheese.
- Per Serving
- Calories 377
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 11mg
- Sodium 503mg
- Protein 13g
- Carbohydrate 46g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 14g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 104mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Real Simple is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit choosemyplate.gov.