- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces rigatoni
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer (crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon if using whole tomatoes) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni according to the package directions.
- Add the drained rigatoni to the sauce and toss to coat. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole and top with the remaining grated Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.