- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash (about 11/2 pounds)—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large oven-safe saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the squash, onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the barley to the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil; cover the pot and transfer it to oven. Bake until the barley is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, Parmesan, and butter. Serve with additional Parmesan.