- 1 1/2pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/4cup bread crumbs
- 1/4cup ketchup, plus more for serving
- 3 small red onions (1 coarsely grated and 2 cut into wedges)
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 3/4cup grated Gruyère or Cheddar (3 ounces)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4pounds carrots, cut into 3-inch lengths and halved lengthwise if large
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, grated onion, bacon, garlic, egg, ½ cup of the Gruyère, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Transfer the mixture to an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of Gruyère.
- Meanwhile, on a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the onion wedges and carrots with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Roast the meat loaf until cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes. Pour off any accumulated fat and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. At the same time, roast the vegetables, tossing once, until tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Slice the meat loaf and serve with the vegetables and additional ketchup.