Avgolemono (Greek Lemon-Egg Soup)
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cooked chicken-breast halves, skin discarded and meat shredded
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Place the broth and the rice in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Add the chicken. Remove the soup from heat and cover.
- Whisk the eggs and lemon juice in a medium bowl until frothy.
- Slowly add about 1 cup hot chicken broth to the lemon and eggs, whisking continually. Slowly stir the warmed eggs into the soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve immediately with a slice of lemon.
- Per Serving
- Calories 314
- Calcium 47mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Cholesterol 145mg
- Fat 7g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 3mg
- Protein 28mg
- Sat Fat 2g
- Sodium 178mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Warming eggs with a bit of hot liquid before adding them to the pot makes for a silky-smooth soup, rather than an egg drop–style one.