Autumn Squash Soup With Orange
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 small butternut or acorn squashes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the leeks and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the zest, squash, and nutmeg and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat, covered, until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender in two batches. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Per Serving
- Calories 165Calories From Fat 33
- Fat 4g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 13mg
- Sodium 396mg
- Protein 6g
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 99mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Make it a meal: Serve the soup with butter lettuce tossed with toasted sliced almonds, dried cherries, olive oil, and white wine vinegar.