- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until tender, 4 to 7 minutes, depending on thickness. Drain the asparagus and transfer to the ice water; drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and mustard. Whisking constantly, very slowly add the oil in a steady stream. The aïoli should be quite thick. Whisk in the lemon juice and salt.
- Serve the asparagus with the aïoli and lemon wedges on the side. (Because the egg in this recipe is not cooked, there is a risk of food-borne illness.)