Asian Pork Burgers With Minted Watermelon
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, plus more for the grill
- 4 cups cut-up seedless watermelon (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 cup torn fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Sriracha or Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut into 4 slices
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 hamburger buns
- lettuce, for serving
- Heat grill to medium-high. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate.
- Toss the watermelon, cucumber , mint, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl.
- Mix together the ketchup and 1 tablespoon of the Sriracha in a small bow.l
- Rub the onion with the remaining teaspoon of oil.
- Gently mix together the pork, soy sauce, garlic, and the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of Sriracha with your hands in a large bowl until just combined. Form the mixture into four ½-inch-thick patties.
- Grill the onion until 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 145° F, 4 to 6 minutes per side.*
- Stack the ketchup mixture, lettuce, burgers, and onions between the buns. Serve with the watermelon salad.
- Per Serving
- Calories 627
- Fat 33g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 120mg
- Sodium 1,584mg
- Protein 40g
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Sugar 18g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 122mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Cooking for friends? The watermelon salad, spiced ketchup, and burger mixture can be made up to 2 hours in advance; refrigerate, covered. If you prefer sweet over spicy, substitute hoisin sauce for the Sriracha.