Arroz con Pollo With Apples
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 large tart unpeeled apples, such as Granny Smith
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup long-grain converted rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Quarter, core, and slice the apples into 1/4-inch-thick pieces; set aside.
- Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the green pepper, yellow pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir well and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and apples to the pan. Cook 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the paprika and red pepper.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, arrange the chicken on top of the rice mixture, and cover. Cook about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.
- Per Serving
- Calories 718
- Calcium 120mg
- Carbohydrate 76g
- Cholesterol 99mg
- Fat 32g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 4mg
- Protein 35mg
- Sat Fat 6g
- Sodium 1153mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .