Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups apricot preserves
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. Toast the coconut on a baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and ¾ cup of the preserves. Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely on racks.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream, sour cream, and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the remaining ½ cup of preserves on top of one of the cakes; sandwich with the other. Frost with the cream mixture and press the coconut onto the sides.
- Per Serving
- Calories 836Calories From Fat 43%
- Fat 40g
- Sat Fat 25g
- Cholesterol 256mg
- Sodium 455mg
- Protein 12g
- Carbohydrate 110g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 61g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .