- 1cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4cups apricot preserves
- 1cup whole milk
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1/4cup sour cream
- 2tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. Toast the coconut on a baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and ¾ cup of the preserves. Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely on racks.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream, sour cream, and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the remaining ½ cup of preserves on top of one of the cakes; sandwich with the other. Frost with the cream mixture and press the coconut onto the sides.