- 2cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1 2/3cups jarred chunky applesauce
- 2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1cup dark or golden raisins
- 2tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform or round cake pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in the granulated sugar, applesauce, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, and eggs. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in the raisins. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the cake from pan. Invert it onto the rack. Turn it over again onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the cake with the confectioners' sugar, slice into wedges, and serve with the ice cream.