Apple-Molasses Spice Cake
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- confectioners’ sugar, for serving
- Heat oven to 350° F. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan, line the bottom with a parchment circle, oil again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, molasses, brown sugar, egg, ginger, and ½ cup boiling water. Add to the flour mixture and whisk until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the apples.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with the confectioners’ sugar.
- Per Serving
- Calories 382
- Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 26mg
- Sodium 379mg
- Protein 4g
- Carbohydrate 57g
- Sugar 28g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 67mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The cake can be made up to 1 day in advance; keep at room temperature, tightly wrapped. Dust with the confectioners’ sugar just before serving.