Apple and Pear Crumb Pie
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, cold
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- For the filling:
- 1 pound pears
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) walnuts, finely chopped
- For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- Make the crust. Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add the butter and shortening and pulse to form a coarse crumble. While the motor is running, add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until smooth. Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a circle about 14 inches in diameter and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Using your fingers, fold over any overhang and crimp the edge. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the filling. Heat oven to 375° F.
- Peel, core, and slice all the pears and apples 1/4 inch thick. Gently toss them in a bowl with the lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon. Spoon into the crust and sprinkle the walnuts over the top.
- Make the topping. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse to form a medium crumble (with
pieces about the size of peas). Sprinkle the topping over the pears, apples, and walnuts. Bake for 1 hour, or until the crust
is golden brown and the pears and apples are tender.
- Per Serving
- Calories 497Calories From Fat 51%
- Fat 28g
- Sat Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 53mg
- Sodium 181mg
- Carbohydrate 65g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 30g
- Protein 5g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .