Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for the topping
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 10-inch tart pan and set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at high speed. Lower to medium and add the egg. Combine the flour and baking powder, then gradually add to the butter mixture. Mix until fully incorporated. The dough will be very soft.
- With floured fingers, push the dough into the tart pan to form an even crust. Arrange the apples in concentric circles, then sprinkle with the cinnamon and the remaining sugar. Bake for 50 minutes or until the crust has browned. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan on medium-low heat, combine the apricot jam and lemon juice, mixing them into a thin liquid. Remove from heat and brush gently over the entire kuchen. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream.
- Per Serving
- Calories 356Calories From Fat 35%
- Calcium 36mg
- Carbohydrate 57g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Fat 14g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 3mg
- Sat Fat 9g
- Sodium 34mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Pat washed fruits and veggies dry before bagging them for storage. Damp items spoil quickly.