Apple, Cranberry, and Pecan Stuffing
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish and foil
- 1 large loaf Italian bread (about 1 pound), cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces (about 16 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 Gala apples, cored and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oven to 375° F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Divide the bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake until dry and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread the pecans on a third rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes; chop.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, apples, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the bread, broth, eggs, cranberries, pecans, thyme, and ½ teaspoon salt to the mixture and toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover with buttered foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Per Serving
- Calories 485
- Fat 28g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 80mg
- Sodium 771mg
- Protein 10g
- Carbohydrate 52g
- Sugar 17g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 86mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .