- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 medium apples, diced to ¼-inch
- ¾ cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- canola oil, for frying
- Stir together the flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl whisk the eggs with milk. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the apples and cheddar.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in deep, heavy-bottomed skillet until the temperature reaches 350° F on a deep-fry thermometer. Line a wire baking rack with paper towels and set aside.
- Working in batches so as not to crowd the skillet, drop the batter into the hot oil by the heaping tablespoon (a small ice cream scoop also works well). Cook fritters for about 2 minutes per side, turning once, until brown and crisp. Transfer fritters to prepared rack using a slotted spoon. Let cool until just slightly warm. Shake fritters in a paper bag filled with remaining sugar to coat. Serve.